Sometimes I just fancy a piece of slice. Saying a ‘slice of slice’ just seems a little weird, and try saying it 10 times very quickly. Not a bad little tongue twister.
When it comes to whipping a treat up to have at home, easy is the main ingredient I look for. The easy factor of this slice is well and truly present. By using a food processor all the ingredients are combined in a snap. Then it is a case of pressing the mixture into a slice tin to bake.
The slice has a lovely thick biscuit crunchy texture. Top this with buttery vanilla icing and it is perfect for morning or afternoon tea. Actually it is perfect for anytime of the day, but does go well with a cup of tea.
The one tablespoon of vanilla in the icing isn’t a typing error. I wanted to be on the heavy handed side to give the icing a good vanilla kick. You could make the icing any flavour you wish, citrus, chocolate, caramel. You are only limited by your imagination.
This slice base could also be jazzed up a little with spices or other flavourings, maybe some lemon zest or cocoa powder? Think of this slice recipe as a great stand alone or a wonderful base you can get creative with.
- 2 ½ cups plain flour
- 1 cup caster sugar
- 2 teaspoon vanilla paste
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 250 grams cold butter, chopped
- Vanilla Icing
- 150 grams butter
- ¼ cup golden syrup
- 1 tablespoon vanilla paste
- 1 ½ cups icing sugar, sifted
- Preheat oven 180 degrees C (360 degrees F). Line a 18cm x 28cm slice tin with baking paper.
- In a food processor place flour, sugar, vanilla paste, baking powder and cold butter. Blitz until the mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs.
- Place mixture in the lined slice tin, press the mixture down firmly with you fingers evenly into the tin. Place tin in the oven and bake for 30 minutes or until golden brown.
- Remove slice from the tin and cool on a cake rack. When slice is completely cold ice. Cut into desired size slices for serving. Store in an airtight container.
- In a medium size mixing bowl cream butter and golden syrup. Then slowly mix in vanilla and icing sugar until completely combined. Ice your slice.
If you do end up whipping up this slice, let me know if you jazz it up a little. Would love to hear how your experimentation goes.