As we start to head into the chocolate fest, which is Easter, I thought I would share a healthy recipe with you. A newly introduced lunchtime favourite at Belly Rumbles HQ, zucchini pizza base, which has been topped with ripe seasonal tomatoes, fresh buffalo mozzarella and basil freshly plucked from the kitchen garden.
Of course you aren’t limited to topping your zucchini pizza base with our go to favourite, they go well with lots of different toppings. Zucchini pizza base topped with smoked salmon, rocket, capers and lemon is also pretty delicious.
Packed full of zucchini it is far healthier for you than a traditional pizza base, but of course it tastes nothing like it, I’m not going to kid you there. But the zucchini pizza base holds its own as a healthy option for those trying to watch what they eat.
- 3 zucchinis, grated (squeezed of liquid)
- ¾ cup parmesan cheese, grated
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon oregano, finely chopped
- ½ cup coconut flour
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- 50g pesto
- 100g fresh mozzarella (the ball not the grated stuff)
- mixture of small tomatoes
- Pre-heat oven 180°C (360°F). Line biscuit baking sheet with baking paper.
- In a large bowl place zucchini, parmesan, oregano, flour, egg, salt and pepper. Mix well and until a “dough” is formed.
- Place dough on lined baking sheet and press out to form a rectangle and it is around 2cm thick.
- Place in the oven to bake for 45 minutes. The edges of the pizza will brown more quickly than the top. It is done when it is golden on top.
- Remove from oven and spread with pesto. Top with slices of tomato, torn pieces of mozzarella and basil leaves.
- Place under a hot grill for a minute or two until the mozzarella starts to melt. Serve immediately.
I was rather sparing with my pesto smearing on the base. You may want to use more than 50g. Quite honestly, top then however you wish.
It isn’t as filling as normal pizza, therefore you may find yourself reaching for an extra slice. Being a zucchini pizza base you wont feel guilty about doing so.
Become a subscriber and don’t miss a single delicious recipe, restaurant review or travel adventure.