Affogato tarts are a decadent dessert created in less than 15 minutes. A chocolate tart shell, a scoop of vanilla ice cream all drowned in a rich coffee sauce.
Affogato is a tasty end to a meal. A traditional Italian coffee dessert, which is dead simple and delicious. If you love coffee I am sure you are no stranger to affogato.
Being a massive fan of affogato I wanted to create a dessert that showcased its simplicity. Affogato is an espresso shot poured over vanilla gelato/ice cream, simple as that.
The jury is out whether affogato is a dessert or a fancy coffee. But one thing you don’t need to debate over is how good these affogato tarts are.
These tarts are very easy to prepare. All you will need is good quality vanilla ice cream along with some store bought chocolate short crust pastry. Of course if you have your own homemade pastry in the freezer even better.
While you are blind baking the tart shells, whip up the coffee sauce. Then it is a case of assembling and serving.
As I said at the start, it is all about the sauce. This coffee sauce is a rich caramel coffee hit. I think it may become my secret weapon in coffee milkshakes.
Josh was my photography assistant while shooting these (as he often is these days), and we both couldn’t stop scooping up dollops of the sauce with our fingers. This meant numerous trips back to the kitchen to wash my hands. A sticky camera is not an asset.
Of course you can make these fancier if you wish. Add some toasted nuts, hazelnuts maybe? Or even top with some Persian fairy floss. Grate some dark chocolate over the top for the ultimate coffee and chocolate hit. Or make them as I have for the ultimate quick and easy dessert.
Would love to hear what your quick and easy desserts are. Trust me I need all the help I can get!
*Chocolate shortcrust pastry can be found in the freezer at all good delis, some supermarkets and selected gourmet fruit shops.
More Dessert Recipes
PIN ME TO EAT ME LATER
- frozen chocolate short crust pastry
- good quality vanilla ice cream
- Coffee Sauce
- 1/2 cup light muscovado sugar packed
- 1/2 cup thick cream
- 1/2 cup strong coffee use good quality coffee not instant
- 1 tsp vanilla bean paste
- Line six mini tart tins with your chosen pastry.
- Follow the instructions on the packet of your chocolate short crust pastry. Blind bake tarts until cooked through. This should only take 10-12 minutes.
- While the tart shells are cooking, place all the sauce ingredients in a heavy base saucepan.
- Stir until all combined over a low heat on your cook top.
- Increase heat and bring to a medium simmer, cook for a further 8 minutes until thicker and darker.
- Top tart cases with a good scoop of vanilla ice cream and the pour over coffee sauce. Serve immediately.