Jami Sorrento was our June Daring Cooks hostess and she chose to challenge us to celebrate the humble spud by making a delicious and healthy potato salad. The Daring Cooks Potato Salad Challenge was sponsored by the nice people at the United States Potato Board, who awarded prizes to the top 3 most creative and healthy potato salads. A medium-size (5.3 ounce) potato has 110 calories, no fat, no cholesterol, no sodium and includes nearly half your daily value of vitamin C and has more potassium than a banana!
All you Daring Cooks out there will know that this post is extremely late, sorry about that. Hello again to everyone else, did you miss me? As you may of noticed I took a little time off from Belly Rumbles.
Those of you that read Belly Rumbles regularly will know that the first half of 2011 hasn't been the best for my family. After a long battle with cancer my mother in law finally passed away early June. It has been a hard blow for everyone, and really the reason why I haven't been bothered to write for a while. We all deal with things in different ways, I just became a little bit more introverted than I normally am.
Thanks to Jami, June's Daring Cooks' Challenge gave me opportunity to make a potato salad that I make regularly for family BBQs. It was one my mother in law really enjoyed. Making it brought back quite a few lovely memories of good times shared together.
The recipe is actually my mum's. I have no idea where she found it, but it really is a great potato salad. The trick to this salad is add the still warm potatoes to the dressing. The potatoes absorb the flavour. Just make sure to let them cool before adding the rest of the ingredients.
American Potato Salad
- 6-8 smallish red potatoes
- 80 ml 4 tablespoons oil
- 40 ml 2 tablespoons vinegar
- 4 teaspoons 1 tablespoon chopped red onion
- 8 teaspoons 2 tablespoons chopped curly parsley
- Salt & freshly ground pepper
- 3 hard boiled eggs peeled & sliced
- 2 celery stalks sliced
- 2 dill pickles sliced
- 4 teaspoons 1 tablespoon capers
- 3 teaspoons horseradish
- 60 ml ¼ cup mayonnaise
- 60 ml ¼ cup sour cream
- 8 teaspoons 2 tablespoons chopped chives
- Cook potatoes in their skins in salted boiling water until just tender. You can either peel or not peel the potatoes, the choice is yours. While still warm cut into thick slices or quarters.
- Combine oil, vinegar, chopped onion, parsley, salt & pepper, in a bowl. Whisk to thicken the dressing and then add the warm potatoes and toss lightly.
- Allow the potatoes to stand until cool and you are ready to finish and serve the salad.
- Add boiled eggs, celery, dill pickles, capers.
- Mix horseradish with mayonnaise and sour cream and fold through the salad.
- Transfer salad to serving dish and top with chopped chives.
It really makes a lot of salad, so feel free to halve the recipe. In this instance I made half the quantity to go along with some toasted sandwiches we had for a lazy Sunday night meal.
I hope you get as much enjoyment out of this salad as I have over the years. Big hugs to my mum for the recipe!