I have been MIA since my Christmas Eve post having a nice break from blogging and work. Back to work and back to Belly Rumbles.
I was having a giggle to myself as I re-read as my “to do” list for 2011 on my New Year post back last January. What did I achieve from that list? Not much to be honest. Big smack to my bot!
This was the 2011 list and commentary as to how I went.
- Make my own salami “back on the list for 2012”
- Advance my skills regarding preserving, bottling, pickling and making jams “Made a start & already planning more seasonal fun”
- Create a gourmet meal for one of my hikes next year, instead of eating 2 minute noodles, porridge and muesli bars. “Got fat, didn’t hike, on diet & exercise plan so I can get my ass moving for 2012“
- Make my own cheese “another failure, no cheese”
- Enjoy a Friday lunch at Assiette “Oh this one I did with Ms Lily”
- Take a chocolate making class “Sadly not, but again on the to do list”
- Play around a lot more with molecular gastronomy “I really am a slack ass, back on 2012 agenda”
- Spend more time making stock to keep on hand in my chest freezer (I am slack!!) “6L of chicken stock in the freeze as I type, seems I’m not that slack after all”
- Prepare more vegetarian meals “this was achieved, go me!”
- Have dinner at Tetsuya’s “nope, didn’t happen, but did have lunch at Quay)”
- Shop more at the local growers/farmers’ markets “Didn’t frequent as much as I would of liked, this one is also on list for 2012”
- Shop less at Coles and Woolworths, and support the little guys, again pure laziness and I need smacked!! “this one I adhear to, I love my greengrocer and deli. Sadly don’t use my local butcher as he lied to me about a turkey a few years ago, long story”
- Hone my French cooking techniques “yep, slowly but surely, my basics are being honed”
- Learn more about and use more Australian native ingredients ” yes, but more to be discovered in 2012″
- Lastly, be successful in keeping that damn possum out of my herb garden and veggie patch! “hmmmm f#^king possum, have given up, no edibles in my garden, thinking chooks for 2012 (joking!) – oh I can hear so many family members shuddering at that comment”
I had an interesting 2011……
Sadly it was a tough one. My mother in law, Yvonne, lost her battle with cancer. A long time friend lost her beautiful daughter, so young and taken from us. An ex boss/long time friend/pain in the ass, also lost his battle with lymphoma this year. Then there has been the ongoing battle with Sally and her cancer issues. Also my parents moved to Qld, I miss my mum badly (and dad ;p).
With the bad there are the highlights of good.
Meeting Margaret Fulton. Seriously, I never thought when I started Belly Rumbles that I would be making afternoon tea for Margaret. Listening to her stories, her sharing of family pictures, her eating my food (and loving it). Wow, amazing!!
My first ever interview for Belly Rumbles, which was with the spokes person of Twining Tea, Stephen Twining himself. Such a dapper English chap.
I hosted the Darling Kitchen’s Daring Cooks’ Challenge. Oh wow, that was very intense as I didn’t want to let anyone down. Everyone seemed to enjoy the challenge and there was so much positive feedback, it was truly an awesome experience.
I got to meet the ever so cute Clovis Young , brain child behind the Mad Mex chain. Now that was a major tequila and chilli lesson.
What does 2012 hold for me? I will be honest, it is a little unsure and scary. As things develop, will happily share with you guys.
What I do know is that I want is to get fit enough to do a couple of hikes this year. I want to have amazing dining out experiences, think cheap eat gems and hopefully a hatted splurge. I want to push myself even further in the kitchen. May even get that salami made.
What do you hope 2012 holds for you?
Oh and by the way, no list this year, just an open mind and willingness to explore.