The ultimate crispy chicken wings recipe using a hot and spicy buttermilk marinade for chicken. An easy chicken wing recipe that is finger licking good.
A bowl of freshly deep-fried chicken wings is set down in front of you. Knowing they’re hot does not deter you from picking one up. You then proceed to do the chicken wing dance.
Holding the hot wing between your fingers in one hand. Then quickly transferring, almost tossing, it to the other, to avoid being burnt.
You blow like a southerly on the outer crunchy coating in an attempt to cool the piping hot wing. Just when you think you have succeeded you bite down with your teeth. The coating shatters on impact, resulting in a burst of steam released from the succulently tender meat inside.
You accomplish burning your mouth, which results in making panting noises like you have just gone into labour. Theatrical short breaths in and out, along with something sounding like ‘hot hot hot’ in an attempt to stop your mouth burning while continuing to eat.
Buttermilk Marinade for Chicken
This is my favourite crispy chicken wing recipe for a couple of reasons. Firstly it is an easy recipe for hot and spicy buttermilk chicken wings. Secondly the end result is shatteringly crisp and damn delicious.
The main reason why this recipe is so good and works so well is due to the marinade. This dish needs to be started at least 24 hours before frying.
You need to marinate your wings for a minimum of 24 hours, 36 is better, but 48 hours is perfect. If you can’t wait 48 hours, 24 will still award you with a fantastic result.
The buttermilk marinade works as a tenderiser for the chicken. Chillies, spice, garlic and sugar are what add the addictive flavour.
Do You Wash Buttermilk Off Chicken?
Hell to the no!!! Do not wash the buttermilk marinade off of your chicken wings.
It is the residual marinade on the buttermilk chicken wings that completes this crispy chicken wings recipe by creating the chicken wing batter.
Chicken Wing Batter
This is where the easy part of this recipe comes in to play. Not that chucking your chicken wings in a buttermilk marinade was particularly hard. Sure the waiting part may have been.
You simply shake off extra buttermilk marinade from your wings and then toss them in the seasoned flour. This has to be the easiest chicken wing batter you will ever make.
I don’t find the chili in these wings overpowering. There is a little kick, the flavour is there, but it isn’t a ‘hard’ chili burn. If you do like your chili on the mild side, tone down the chili heat by omitting the chili flakes in the coating.
I serve these wings simply with chipotle hot sauce or my easy chilli plum sauce. They would go just as well with a creamy ranch sauce or your favourite sauce you enjoy your wings with.
Once you have made this economical crispy chicken wings recipe at home, I can guarantee you it won't be your last.
Crispy Chicken Wings Recipe
- 1 kg chicken wings
- 1 jalapeno chili finely chopped
- 2 red birds eye chilies finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- ½ teaspoon white pepper ground
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 cloves garlic chopped
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- ½ teaspoon caster sugar
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 2 cups plain flour
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 tablespoon chili flakes
- Vegetable/canola oil for deep-frying
- Remove wing tips from the wings (the pointy end section). Then cut the remaining wing in half at the joint. You will end up with a piece resembling a small chicken drum and a flatter oblong piece. Place wing portions in a medium glass bowl.
- In a small blender, blend chilies, paprika, pepper, salt, garlic, vinegar, sugar and buttermilk. The pour mixture over you wings, coating them well. Cover bowl with plastic film and place in the fridge.
- Marinade your wings for a minimum of 24 hours up to 48 hours. Give them a stir at least once (half way through) to ensure even marinating.
- In a wok, pour in oil until around 7cm deep. Heat wok over medium heat to 170 deg C (340 deg F) and pre heat your oven to 120 deg C (250 deg C). Line a baking tray with baking paper and set aside.
- In a large bowl place flour, salt and chili flakes, mix well.
- Working with 3 or 4 pieces of chicken at a time, remove from marinade, coat in flour mixture, shake off extra and then deep fry in oil. Fry for around 8 minutes then turn chicken and fry on reverse side until cooked.
- Remove with wings from oil with tongs. Shaking off all excess oil. Drain on some paper towel before putting on baking tray and placing in oven to keep warm.
- Repeat with remaining chicken wings.
- Sprinkle with a few sea salt flakes and serve with chipotle hot sauce or sauce of choice.
More Tasty Chicken Wing Recipes
Teriyaki Chicken Wings - easy oven baked perfection
Bourbon Maple Chicken Wings - baked sticky goodness
Wasabi Chicken Wings - with yuzu mayo and wasabi salt
Karaage Chicken Wings - Japanese style chicken wings