Mouthwatering enoki beef rolls, are a Japanese culinary gem that combines exquisite flavors with effortless preparation. These delectable rolls feature tender, marinated beef enveloping delicate enoki mushrooms, resulting in a tantalizing fusion of textures and tastes. Perfect whether you're hosting a sizzling barbecue or craving some yakiniku diversity.
It is the marinade that elevates this recipe. Immerse your taste buds in a symphony of traditional Japanese ingredients like mirin, soy sauce, and cooking sake. These delectable enoki beef rolls are an exceptional choice for a shared dining experience.
This recipe is part of my "just recipes" collection. Short intro and the recipe, simple. Please see Belly Rumbles' recipe index for more in-depth and guided recipes.
Enoki Beef Rolls
- 500 g beef fillet (tenderloin), thinly sliced | or purchase pre-sliced beef
- 300 g enoki mushrooms
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 teaspoon minced ginger
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- 2 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon sake |cooking sake
- 1 tablespoon mirin
- vegetable oil for cooking
- toasted sesame seeds and finely sliced shallots (green onion) to serve
- Combine garlic, ginger, sesame oil, soy sauce, sake, and mirin in a bowl. Add sliced beef and mix to coat well. Cover the bowl and place in the fridge for 30 minutes.
- While beef is marinating remove the root end of the bunch of enoki with a sharp knife. Divide the enoki into 15 portions.
- Remove beef from the fridge and spread 1 slice of beef on a cutting board. Top with one portion of enoki and wrap the beef tightly around on a slight diagonal.Repeat with the rest of the beef and enoki.
- Heat a splash of vegetable oil in a large frying pan over high heat. Add a few enoki beef rolls to the pan and cook on high for a few minutes, turning the rolls as soon as they are browned on one side to brown the other.Do not crowd your pan or the enoki beef rolls will stew and not brown.
- Place cooked rolls, and any residual sauce in the pan, on a serving plate and sprinkle with toasted sesame seeds and finely sliced shallots (green onion) to serve.
Cooking on the BBQ
- Add a splash of oil to a solid hot bbq plate. Place enoki beef rolls on the bbq leaving space between each roll. Barbecue until rolls are browned on both sides. 1 minute before removing from the bbq brush the rolls with a little extra marinade and continue to cook. Serve as above.
The recipe's nutritional information is an approximation based on an online calculator. It is meant solely for reference purposes. If you're looking for precise details, be sure to double-check with your own research.