Entertaining can be hard work and stressful at times. It really doesn't need to be when you have some quick and easy dishes in your repertoire that taste great and look impressive.
I recently made this dish for a get together of a bunch of friends. A casual affair where we all bought something along for lunch. I really felt like I was cheating by bringing a couple of rounds of brie along, but it was a success with all.The brie was prepared up to baking point at home. Not that there is much preparation involved. It may seem simple but the addition of the rosemary, juniper berries and brandy magically transform humble brie to something quite addictive. The most difficult part of this recipe is wrapping it in baking paper and tying it with string. You will need an extra pair of hands for that step.With the brie prepped, it was then just placed in our host's oven to cook before serving. Hot molten delicious brie which we scooped up with slices of fresh crunchy baguette, bought from the markets that morning.
Molten Brie Recipe
- 2 rounds of brie
- 8 juniper berries crushed
- 2 sprigs of rosemary leaves only
- 60 ml brandy
- cracked black pepper
- Cut four large squares of baking paper, approximately 30cm x 30cm. Fold each piece of baking paper in half, and then in half again, to create a smaller square, four sheets thick.
- Unwrap your brie from its packaging and place each round of brie on one of your folded squares. Fold your baking paper up the sides of the brie and then secure the paper with kitchen string (not plastic) around the side of your brie. Repeat with the second square of baking paper. Do not cover the top of your brie with baking paper.
- Once your brie is wrapped, cut three quarters of a circle into the top of your brie. Cutting under the circle as well, creating a lid which is still attached.
- In and around the cut circle of each round of brie, place rosemary leaves, juniper berries and cracked pepper. Pour in 30mls of brandy under the cap and a little sprinkle onto the top of each round.
- The prepared brie can be placed in the fridge until ready to use at this stage. When your guests arrive, place brie in a 220 degree C pre-heated oven. Bake for 20 minutes or until the cheese is hot and molten.
- Serve immediately with slices of crunchy baguette.
Such a simple dish, using few ingredients, I do encourage you to give this one a try. Make sure to get stuck in to it as soon as it is out of the oven. If you are a lover of cheese you will be suitably impressed, and so will your guests.
Do tell dear Belly Rumbles' reader, what is your entertaining secret?
If you enjoyed this recipe, why not share it with others?