Saffron mayonnaise is also a key ingredient in my lip smacking mussels, white wine, saffron, and bacon recipe. This mayonnaise is so tasty, you'll be forgiven when you run your finger around the bowl to finish every last drop.
This recipe is part of my "just recipes" collection. Short intro and the recipe, simple. Please see Belly Rumbles' recipe index for more in-depth and guided recipes.
- generous pinch of saffron
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon white wine vinegar
- 250 ml (1 cup) vegetable oil
- Place saffron threads in a small pan over medium heat. Toast the threads for 1-2 minutes until fragrant. Remove threads from the pan and crush the with the back of a spoon to create a powder.
- Whisk saffron, egg yolk, mustard, lemon juice, and vinegar in a medium size bowl.
- Once combined keep whisking and gradually add the oil. Continue whisking until the oil has emulsified.Alternatively, you can use the immersion blender method used with my standard mayonnaise recipe.
- Store in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 7 days.
- An Extra Egg Yolk: Place an egg yolk in a bowl. Slowly whisk in the broken mayonnaise mixture. All going well it should come together and thicken. I find simply adding an extra egg yolk to the beaker for the immersion blender and re-blending can be hit and miss.
- Boiling Water: Either place the broken mayonnaise in a bowl, and use a whisk, or continue with the immersion blender method. Add 3 teaspoons of boiling water to the bowl and whisk, or to the blender and blend. It should thicken and come together.
The recipe's nutritional information is an approximation based on an online calculator. It is meant solely for reference purposes. If you're looking for precise details, be sure to double-check with your own research.