Home-made Christmas presents are always high on my Christmas cooking list. Something I enjoy doing for family and friends. There is one special member of our family that tends to come in front of all others in my desire to make something special for. Sally of course.
Sally has her own stocking on the fireplace and looks forward to Christmas day as much as anyone else in our family. She knows which stocking is hers, she has had that same stocking for nine years now. She knows it will be filled with goodies just for her. She also knows there will be a present or two under the tree all her very own. This is all followed by a special Christmas breakfast and then on to a day of celebrations with the rest of our family. She loves Christmas.
I am sure she isn’t the only spoilt dog out there and I am sure many enjoy Christmas as much as she does. Why not make it that little more special by making treats for them from your own kitchen. There are so many pet treat recipes out there, offering something a little more exciting than the run-of-the-mill store bought ones.
Home-made dog biscuits are really easy to bake and the appreciation from your four legged family member will just fill your heart with joy. Dogs are no different to humans, they like change, treats and pleasant surprises. I don’t care what anyone else says, they appreciate and enjoy good food too.
These biscuits won’t make it under the tree for Sally this year. Instead, she has generously agreed to taste test them for those Belly Rumbles’ readers with special dogs in their lives. What did she think? She isn’t knocking them back and has no hesitation in scoffing one, two or even three down
- 1 bunch of continental parsley finely chopped
- 1 medium carrot finely grated
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- 2 3/4 cups wholemeal flour
- 2 Tablespoons bran
- 1 Tablespoon dry bonito stock granules* - optional
- 1/2 - 1 cup water
- Preheat oven 180 degrees C/160 degrees C fan forced or 350/325 degrees F.
- Line two biscuit trays with baking paper.
- Place parsley, carrot and olive oil in a large bowl, mix. Add the dry ingredients and mix well.
- Mix in 1/2c water, gradually add more if needed. The mixture should be moist and come together but not wet. You want it to be a consistency that can be rolled.
- Once desired consistency has been reached, knead mixture for one minute.
- With a rolling pin roll the dough out on a floured surface to 1cm thickness. Use your desired cookie cutter to cut out shapes. Place on baking trays.
- Re-roll dough scraps and cut out more cookies, repeat until all of the dough has been used.
- Place in oven and bake for 30 minutes or until biscuits have browned and hardened slightly.
Do tell dear Belly Rumbles’ reader, does your pet look forward to Christmas as much as the rest of the family?
Other Pet Treats
Chicken Liver Biscuits