Healthy dog biscuits packed with parsley, carrot, and bran. They have the added flavour punch of using bonito. They are the perfect treato for your doggo.
Home-made Christmas presents are always high on my Christmas cooking list. Something I enjoy doing for family and friends. There is one special member of our family that tends to come in front of all others in my desire to make something special for. The fur baby.
When I first posted this recipe many years ago the fur baby was our gorgeous Sally. Sally has now crossed the rainbow bridge, but lives on within the pages of Belly Rumbles. New fur baby Harley loves them just as much.
I am sure my fur babies are the only spoilt ones out there. Why not make Christmas (do we really need an occasion?) that little more special by making treats for them from your own kitchen. There are so many pet treat recipes out there, offering something a little more exciting than the run-of-the-mill store bought ones.
Home-made dog biscuits are really easy to bake and the appreciation from your four legged family member will just fill your heart with joy. Dogs are no different to humans, they like change, treats, and pleasant surprises. I don’t care what anyone else says, they appreciate and enjoy good food too.
These biscuits won’t make it under the tree for Sally this year. Instead, she has generously agreed to taste test them for those Belly Rumbles’ readers with special dogs in their lives. What did she think? She isn’t knocking them back and has no hesitation in scoffing one, two or even three down
More Dog Treatos!
Peanut Butter and Carob Dog Treats – your dog will go crazy for these
Carob Rocky Road – why should humans have all the fun?
Pea and Rosemary Dog Treats – only 4 ingredients
Chicken Liver Cookies – crack for dogs
Healthy Dog BiscuitsPrint Recipe
- 1 bunch of continental parsley finely chopped
- 1 medium carrot finely grated
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- 2 3/4 cups wholemeal flour
- 2 Tablespoons bran
- 1 Tablespoon dry bonito stock granules* – optional
- 1/2 – 1 cup water
- Preheat oven 180 degrees C/160 degrees C fan forced or 350/325 degrees F.
- Line two biscuit trays with baking paper.
- Place parsley, carrot and olive oil in a large bowl, mix. Add the dry ingredients and mix well.
- Mix in 1/2c water, gradually add more if needed. The mixture should be moist and come together but not wet. You want it to be a consistency that can be rolled.
- Once desired consistency has been reached, knead mixture for one minute.
- With a rolling pin roll the dough out on a floured surface to 1cm thickness. Use your desired cookie cutter to cut out shapes. Place on baking trays.
- Re-roll dough scraps and cut out more cookies, repeat until all of the dough has been used.
- Place in oven and bake for 30 minutes or until biscuits have browned and hardened slightly.