Amongst the sophisticated hors d’oeuvres that may grace your Christmas table, it is always nice to have something for the kids. The only thing that really makes these sausage rolls festive is the use of cranberry sauce in the filling. I feel it is enough of a ‘Christmas’ ingredient to slide these in to my Christmas recipes, just.
As easy as this recipe is, the sage and cranberry sauce does take the humble sausage roll to a new level. The beauty of this recipe is the sausage rolls can be made in advance and frozen once they have been assembled. If not used for Christmas day, they really are great to have on hand in the freezer to pop in the oven when unexpected guests pay a visit. Trust me, big kids will devour these just as quickly as the little ones.
Festive Sausage Rolls
- 250 grams pork mince
- 250 grams veal mince
- 1 egg
- 1 cup fresh breadcrumbs
- 1/2 cup cranberry sauce
- 2 Tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 3 Tablespoons finely chopped sage leaves
- Pinch of salt & cracked black pepper
- 3 sheets of store bought frozen puff pastry thawed
- 1 egg extra, lightly beaten
- 3 Tablespoon fennel seeds
- Preheat oven 220 degrees C/200 degrees C fan forced or 425/400 degrees F.
- Line two baking trays with baking paper.
- In a large bowl place pork and veal mince, egg, fresh bread crumbs, cranberry sauce, Worcestershire, sage, salad and pepper. Mix ingredients well until completely combined.
- Cut puff pastry sheets in half.
- Place on sixth of the mixture along the middle of each half evenly. Roll up the pastry to enclose with the seam side down.
- Cut each roll in to five pieces and place on baking trays. Brush rolls with extra egg and sprinkle with fennel seeds.
- Bake for 25 minutes or until the rolls are golden and cooked through.
- Rolls can be made the day before and reheated. Alternatively uncooked rolls can be frozen for up to three months. If cooking from frozen, defrost in fridge first.
Do tell dear Belly Rumbles’ reader, do you stock up on nibbles for unexpected guests pop in over the holiday season?
Other Christmas Recipes
Mushroom & Prosciutto Canapé
Oysters 3 Ways
Spiced Prawn Pappadams
Christmas Gift Recipes
Healthy Dog Biscuits