Curry mango turkey salad is full of surprises. First the unexpected crunch from roasted cashews and celery. Then the amplified mango taste from fresh mangoes and mango chutney. The subtle spice and mild curry dressing bring it all together.
I have been making this recipe for years and can't believe I am only sharing it with you now. I generally use poached chicken breast. For the love of leftovers, I decided to give it a go with leftover turkey. It works well.
If turkey or chicken isn't your thing, this recipe works wonderfully with peeled cooked prawns (shrimp). As far as recipes go they don't get much simpler than this.
- Green Onions/Scallions: Add mild onion flavour and colour.
- Cashews: Roasted to add crunch.
- Turkey: Use leftover turkey from Thanksgiving or Christmas. No turkey? Poached or barbecue (rotisserie) chicken work well, as do peeled cooked prawns (shrimp).
- Celery: The main textural crunch in this salad, it also adds a refreshing element.
- Mango Chutney: Adds a sweet spicy note to the dressing.
- Mayonnaise: I use Kewpie mayonnaise, but any whole egg mayonnaise is fine.
- Curry Powder: You can't have curry mango turkey salad without the curry powder. I use Keen's traditional curry powder because I always have. Use your favourite mild curry powder.
- Cumin: Rounds out the flavour of the salad dressing.
- Mango: This recipe is best kept for mango season, use fresh mangoes.
Recipe Walk Through
If your cashews aren't pre-roasted place then in a baking dish and roast in the oven at 180°C (360°F) until golden.
Keep an eye on them as they go from golden to burnt quickly.
Place dressing ingredients in a small bowl and whisk until combined. Set aside until it is time to dress the salad. Dressing can be made a day ahead and stored covered in the fridge.
Place turkey, celery, cashews, and green onions (scallions) in a large bowl.
Add dressing to the salad ingredients and mix thoroughly.
At this stage, the salad can be placed in the fridge for a couple of hours. Go to the next step when you are ready to serve the salad.
Add mango and gently mix it through the salad until evenly distributed.
Serve the curry mango turkey salad immediately.
Now how easy was that!
Curry Mango Turkey Salad
- chopping board + sharp knife
- 1 x large bowl + 1 x small bowl
- 500 grams (2 cups) cooked turkey | diced or shredded - alternatively use poached or rotisserie chicken, or cooked peeled prawns (shrimp)
- 4 green onions/scallions | finely sliced
- 150 grams (1 cup) cashews | roasted
- 2 mangoes | diced, skin and seed discarded
- 5 stalks celery | sliced
- 250 grams (1 cup) mayonnaise | whole egg, I use Kewpie
- 100 grams (5 tablespoons) mango chutney
- 2 teaspoons curry powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- Place dressing ingredients in a small bowl and whisk until combined. Set aside until it is time to dress the salad. The dressing can be made a day ahead and stored covered in the fridge.
- Place turkey, celery, cashews, and green onions (scallions) in a large bowl.
- Add dressing to the salad ingredients and mix thoroughly.At this stage, the salad can be placed in the fridge for a couple of hours. Go to the next step when you are ready to serve the salad.
- Add mango and gently mix it through the salad until evenly distributed.Serve the curry mango turkey salad immediately.
- 1 teaspoon equals 5ml
- 1 tablespoon equals 20 ml (Nth America, NZ & UK use 15ml tablespoons)
- 1 cup equals 250ml (Nth America use 237ml)
- 4 teaspoons equals 1 tablespoon
- I use the below unless specified in my recipes;