Quick Carrot and Zucchini Pickles are fantastic on burgers, sandwiches, and wraps. They are also brilliant in salads and they are quick and easy to make.
The love of pickles is most certainly in my blood. I’m sure it has to do with my Latvian heritage, I’ve been eating pickles since the day I could chew. There are always dill pickles, gherkins, and all sorts of other pickled vegetables in my fridge at any given time. My pickle love is not just for European style pickles, I am also quite partial to Asian style quick pickles.
These quick carrot and zucchini pickles are spiralized. Really only for two reasons, it’s fun and they look great! Okay, there is another reason too. I’m a little addicted to the act of spiralizing, more so than eating raw zoodles. Pickling seemed a win win situation!
Originally these quick carrot and zucchini pickles were made as an alternative to coleslaw. Coleslaw? I can hear you questioning me and that is fair enough. I do enjoy coleslaw but I wanted something that was neither made from cabbage or creamy, but still had flavour and texture. The pickles were initially created for my chicken teriyaki burger recipe. Since then they have been a bit of a staple in the fridge. I love elevating this simple pickle with the addition of toasted sesame seeds and finely sliced spring (green) onion when serving.
The pickles were initially created for my chicken teriyaki burger recipe (coming soon I promise). Since then they have been a bit of a staple in the fridge. I love elevating these simple pickles with the addition of toasted sesame seeds and finely sliced spring (green) onion when serving.
As they are quick to pickle, if made in the morning they will be ready for lunch. I love the crunch and the sweet and sour tang of these quick carrot and zucchini pickles and I am sure that you will too.
Become a subscriber and don’t miss a single delicious recipe, restaurant review or travel adventure.
Quick Carrot and Zucchini Pickles (spiralized)
- Glass Jar
- 1 carrot
- 2 zucchini
- 250 ml (1 cup) water
- 220 grams (1 cup) white sugar
- 250 ml (1 cup) rice wine vinegar
- pinch of salt
- Place water, sugar, vinegar and salt in a saucepan. Over a medium heat dissolve the sugar and bring to the boil. Remove from heat.
- Spiralize carrot and zucchini and place in a clean glass jar.
- Pour pickling mixture over the zucchini and carrot, making sure the mixture covers them completely.
- Leave the jar to cool for 3 – 4 hours and then place in the fridge. Leave pickles to chill for at least an hour before serving. Pickles can be kept in the fridge for a week.