Forget about take away, make these tasty teriyaki chicken burgers for your family instead. Saucy teriyaki chicken topped with salad, quick carrot and zucchini pickles, and Japanese mayonnaise.
Dinner. I hate making dinner. Probably something you weren’t expecting me to admit, but I hate it. Cooking burgers on the odd occasion makes life easy.
Just like every other person on the planet, I get stuck with what to make for dinner at times (more times than you would expect). Mainly I don’t feel like cooking after a long day. Often after a day where I have been working with food, where I have no idea what I feel like, but still need to feed the tribe.
To combat my “I really don’t want to cook tonight” slumps I have a few recipes up my sleeve that are quick and satisfying. They also give the feeling of a sneaky takeaway, but taste wise are 100% superior. My tasty teriyaki chicken burgers are one of them.
One thing I love about these burgers is the thick saucy coating your chicken ends up with. The chicken is dusted lightly in flour and pan fried with a little oil in a non stick pan to give some crunch. When the sauce ingredients are added to the chicken they thicken to a saucy coating.
What really completes these burgers are my quick carrot and zucchini pickles. I have a constant supply in my fridge and find them useful for adding some crunch and zing to a variety of dishes.
These burgers really are a winner. Juicy chicken thigh fillet covered with 4 ingredient teriyaki sauce. Accompanied by sweet and tangy quick pickles, red onion, crunchy lettuce, and some mellow mayonnaise. It’s a super flavour combination.
Cheat's version of this recipe!
There is absolutely nothing hard about this recipe. But..... if you want to make life even easier you could use a store bought teriyaki sauce. Just make sure it isn't a thick sauce.
As an alternative serving suggestion, why not place all the ingredients out on the dining table and let everyone make their own. One less thing you have to worry about and the tribe have their own bespoke tasty teriyaki chicken burgers.
Other Great Burger & Dog Recipes
Teriyaki Chicken Burgers
- 60 ml (¼ cup) soy sauce
- 40 ml (2 tablespoons) mirin
- 40 ml (2 tablespoons) sake
- 26 grams (1 ½ tablespoons) caster sugar superfine sugar
- 4 chicken thigh fillets boneless
- flour for dusting
- vegetable oil
- 4 Turkish bread rolls or burger buns
- a few leaves of baby cos lettuce or iceberg lettuce
- ½ red onion finely sliced
- carrot and zucchini pickles
- mayonnaise preferably Japanese
- In a small bowl combine soy sauce, mirin, sake and caster sugar. Mix until the sugar has dissolved. Set aside for later use.
- Lightly coat chicken thigh fillets with flour, shaking off any excess.
- Heat oil in a non stick fry pan on a medium heat. Add chicken and fry until golden and cooked through.
- Add soy sauce mixture to the pan and bring to the boil. Keep stirring and coating the chicken with the sauce until it thickens. Remove immediately from heat.
- To assemble burgers: Place lettuce, onion and pickles on the bread roll/bun. Top with a chicken thigh fillet, some extra teriyaki sauce and mayonnaise.
- Serve with hot chips/French fries if desired.
All measurements are Australian metric standard. All measures are level, and cups are lightly packed unless specified. 1 teaspoon = 5ml / 1 tablespoon = 20mls / 1 cup = 250ml /4 teaspoons = 1 tablespoon.
The recipe's nutritional information is an approximation based on an online calculator. It is meant solely for reference purposes. If you're looking for precise details, be sure to double-check with your own research.