This gluten free Apple and Almond Cake is packed with apples, almonds, a good dose of honey and love.
When I bake a gluten free cake it isn’t because I have a gluten intolerance. I can’t imagine how horrible it would be to go through life with a true intolerance, I love bread way too much!
Gluten free recipes usually come about due to other factors. The main one being that I have an abundance of almond meal in the pantry.
I love the density and texture that almond meal gives to a cake. Of course there is also the taste. Apple and almond are a natural flavour pairing. Plus they also say an apple a day keeps the doctor away. This goes for apple cake too…. Right?
Your doctor would probably be happier that you are eating a slice of this cake over some others. I use honey instead of refined white sugar to add sweetness. But let’s face facts sugar is sugar no matter what form, but there is only ¼ cup in the recipe.
Olive oil is used instead of butter. Therefore if you are an advocate of the Mediterranean diet, this will be a tick in your book. Make sure you use a light flavoured olive oil. Using extra virgin olive oil will kill the taste of the cake.
Besides being a delicious cake it smells amazing. When baking it will fill your kitchen with the sweet notes of honey. I was surprised how amazing it smelt.
I do love a cake that imparts delicious smells when baking, don’t you?
Apple and Almond Cake (Gluten Free)
- 180 grams 1 ½ cups almond meal
- 50 grams ½ cup LSA
- 1 teaspoon baking powder (gluten free)
- 60 ml ¼ cup light olive oil
- 60 ml ¼ cup honey
- 2 teaspoons vanilla bean paste
- 2 eggs
- 2 granny smith apples (cored, peeled and finely diced)
- pumpkin seeds
- Preheat oven 160 deg C (320 deg F). Line a 20cm (8 inch) round cake tin with baking paper.
- In a large bowl add almond meal, LSA, olive oil, honey, vanilla bean paste and eggs. Mix until well combined. Then stir in the diced apples.
- Place cake batter in lined tin and smooth out evenly.
- Sprinkle a handful of pumpkins seeds over the top of the cake and place in the oven to bake for 60 minutes.
- Once cooked through remove tin from oven. Leave the cake to cool in the cake tin for 30 minutes and then remove cake and place on a cooling rack.
Become a subscriber and don’t miss a single delicious recipe, restaurant review or travel adventure