We have nearly finished the black truffles sent to us by Red Earth Truffles. There really has been a truffle explosion at Belly Rumbles HQ. In fact both the boys are extremely over truffles. I am still good to go, and truffling on quite merrily while the season lasts.
I've made a nice whack of black truffle butter made up and frozen. This will keep me happy out of season. A knob of black truffle butter in the pan when making scrambled eggs is an easy indulgence. Then sprinkled with some truffle salt, absolutely deliciously simple.
Being partial to baked brie and as truffles work very well with dairy, I thought, why not combine the two. Baked brie with black truffles was a captain obvious. Black truffle with gooey rivers of brie, some baguette, equals perfect winter fare.
There are a few recipes around where brie is cut in half and sliced truffle is sandwiched in the middle. You wrap your brie and leave in the fridge for a few hours, giving time for the black truffle flavour to absorb into the brie. This method would be great for a cheese board.
Another wonderful cheese to share is my baked thyme and lemon ricotta.
As you can see below, my recipe is a very loose one. No real measurements to give. Use as much black truffle as would like. Brandy is optional, with a small splosh being preferable to a heavy handed one.
Some of you may be wondering what a ‘splosh’ is. That’s where I take the brandy bottle and pour a dash of brandy on whatever needs the splosh. The act makes a splosh sound, therefore it is a splosh! There are short sploshes, which I recommend for this brie. Then there are long sploshes, which I generally use. In fact they are more of a glug glug glug than a splosh.
This is a great recipe when you have guests over. If it isn’t black truffle season you could always make my molten brie recipe, which is a firm crowd pleaser and what the above recipe was based on.
If you are looking for some other black truffle recipe ideas don’t forget to check out my black truffle and parmesan recipe from last week or my Poulet en Demi Deuill (chicken in mourning).
Belly Rumbles would like to thank Red Earth Truffles for the beautiful truffles that were used to make this recipe.
Baked Brie with Black Truffles
- Round of double or triple cream brie
- Grated fresh black truffle
- Splosh of brandy optional
- Pre heat oven 220°C (430°F).
- Cut two squares of baking paper large enough to nestle your brie in. You want the baking paper to come up the sides as pictured.
- Unwrap your brie from its packaging and place brie on one of your baking paper squares. Fold your baking paper up the sides of the brie and then secure the paper with kitchen string (not plastic) around the side of your brie. Do not cover the top of your brie with baking paper.
- Once your brie is wrapped, cut three quarters of a circle into the top of your brie. Cutting under the circle as well, creating a lid which is still attached.
- In the cut circle of the brie, grate black truffle and add a splosh of brandy (optional).
- The prepared brie can be placed in the fridge until ready to use. When ready to bake place brie in the oven and bake for 15 minutes or until the cheese is hot and molten.
- Serve immediately with slices of crunchy baguette.