These simple melt and mix vanilla cakes will become a go to recipe. Place all ingredients in a bowl, mix and bake, they will be ready in no time.
This recipe is based on a Donna Hay vanilla cupcake recipe that I found a while ago. After making Donna’s recipe a few times, I wanted to cut down the sugar that was in hers.
So that’s what I did reduce the amount of sugar and upped the vanilla.
On this occasion instead of making cupcakes I decided to try out my new mini Bundt cake tin. When I say new, this actually means that it has been sitting in my cupboard for probably 12 months and I just haven’t had the chance to use it yet.
I am hopeless. I am a baking ware hoarder. I have tins that were my grandmother’s and ones that were mum’s, and then if I see anything exciting online or in the shops, all of a sudden it is adopted.
Sadly I have the same addiction to cookie cutters. I have cookie cutters that are yet to touch dough.
These melt and mix vanilla cakes are dead easy to make. Put all the ingredients in a bowl and mix. Simple. I do love simple baking.
This is also a great recipe for kids to make.
You can also make cupcakes with this recipe. They are great to decorate as they end up with pretty flat tops on them. I used this recipe last Christmas to make some melting snowman cupcakes for my niece.
It is a larger crumbed cake due to the method of making. They are also moist and buttery.
I have iced these melt and mix vanilla cakes, but you don’t have to. The icing that you can see in the photos is a basic icing but I added some freeze dried plum powder to colour and flavour it. A bit of an experiment with a new product I am playing with (more about that later).
A simple dusting of icing sugar or confectioner’s sugar over the top of the cakes will be just as pretty.
Simple Melt and Mix Vanilla Cakes
- 190 grams (1.25 cups) plain flour, sifted
- 1 teaspoon baking powder, sifted
- 165 grams (3/4 cup) caster sugar
- 125 grams butter
- 2 eggs
- 180 ml (3/4 cup) milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 180 grams (1 cup) icing sugar, sifted
- 25 grams (1 tablespoon) butter, melted
- 25 ml (1 tablespoon) milk
- a couple of drops of desired colour and flavour.
- Preheat oven 160 deg C (325 deg F). Grease cake tin or use a muffin tin lined with 12 paper cases.
- Melt butter and leave to cool slightly.
- In a large bowl place sifted flour, baking powder, caster sugar, butter, eggs milk and vanilla. Mix well until combined.
- Spoon mixture in to cake tin/paper cases and bake for 25 - 30 minutes.
- Cakes are cooked when tested with a skewer and it comes out clean. Remove cakes from cake/muffin tin and cool on a wire rack.
- In a medium bowl mix icing sugar, butter, milk and any colouring or flavouring you would like to use. Add a teaspoon of milk extra at a time if needed to create the consistency you require for your icing.
Become a subscriber and don’t miss a single delicious recipe, restaurant review or travel adventure.