This Chicken Waldorf Sandwich is easy and delicious. All the classic Waldorf salad ingredients transformed into an addictive pan fried sandwich.
Sometimes all I feel like for dinner is a sandwich. It needs to be filling, comforting and leave me satisfied. I’m not talking about a plain old ham or tuna sandwich, something with substance.
Inspired by an apple picking trip to Bilpin, I wanted to make a chicken and apple salad. Somehow I ended up with a chicken Waldorf sandwich. Not a healthy sandwich by any means, but did tick the satisfying box.
Pan frying the sandwich made it fall into the unhealthy category. It is fried in butter and is worth any added calories this may cause.
You could be virtuous and avoid butter frying and use a non-stick sandwich press. Swapping the Japanese mayonnaise for a low fat variety will also bump up the health factor.
Chicken Waldorf Sandwich - Secret Ingredient
The ingredients are those that can be found in a Waldorf salad. The secret to making this sandwich great is the addition of a few slices of smoked mozzarella. It marries so well with the walnuts and celecry
This recipe will make enough filling for four very generous sized sandwiches. Any leftover filling can be stored in an air tight container in the fridge for a couple of days.
A very simple sandwich to make, you could even use the filling on a fresh bread roll or in a wrap, add some salad leaves for a bit more freshness. Bacon would be a lovely addition as well.
Zesty Chicken Quinoa Salad - easy, healthy and delicious
Wasabi Chicken Wings - with yuzu mayo, yummo!
Deep Fried Chicken Necks - hey, somebody had to try it!
Chicken Leek Mushrooom Pie - hearty and comforting
Other Chicken Recipes You'll Love
Pan Fried Chicken Waldorf Sandwich
- 325 grams chicken fillet poached and finely diced
- 90 grams celery finely diced
- 1 apple peeled and finely diced
- 45 grams walnuts finely chopped
- 20 grams chives chopped
- ? cup Japanese mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon grainy mustard
- 1 tablespoon horseradish cream
- 400 grams smoked mozzarella sliced
- 8 thick slices of your favourite bread
- Mix all ingredients, beside mozzarella and bread, in a bowl until completely combined.
- Generously butter the sides of your sliced bread that will be the outside of the sandwich, the bread surfaces that will be touching the pan.
- Spoon a generous amount of filling onto four of the slices of bread, then layer onto of each slice the sliced mozzarella. Then make a sandwich with the remaining slices.
- In a non-stick pan, fry your sandwiches over a low heat. Add more butter if you feel it is needed. They are ready once the bread is golden, cheese has melted and filling has warmed through.
- Serve with garden salad, or not.
All measurements are Australian metric standard. All measures are level, and cups are lightly packed unless specified. 1 teaspoon = 5ml / 1 tablespoon = 20mls / 1 cup = 250ml /4 teaspoons = 1 tablespoon.
The recipe's nutritional information is an approximation based on an online calculator. It is meant solely for reference purposes. If you're looking for precise details, be sure to double-check with your own research.