Japanese rice soup is a rich, thick and hearty chicken and rice soup. A distant relation to Chinese congee, but the comfort factor is well and truly there.
There is no need to reach for a tin of Campbell's chicken soup. This soup is tastier and far healthier for you.
Japanese flavours abound with the use of mirin, dashi and sake. It has the umami of miso soup, but with a comforting creaminess.
No cream is added, as the rice breaks down it thickens and adds a creamy texture to the Japanese rice soup. The addition of ginger and green onions (shallots) pumps freshness back in.
Japanese short grain rice is slowly cooked in dashi. Cooked until it starts to break down. This soup is simple as well as the flavours used. The addition of chicken is more for nutritional value than anything else. But does make for an easy, tasty, chicken and rice soup.
What is Dashi?
Dashi is a fish stock made from katsuobushi (bonito flakes), konbu (dried kelp) and water. I do make my own, but I also keep a supply of dashi granules in my pantry. Simply add water to the granules to make up your dashi.
If you have the flu, cold, or are getting over a sore tummy, this Japanese rice soup is for you. A big bowl will give you a much needed hug from the inside.
In self-isolation or under 14 day quarantine? Make sure you have these ingredients in your Pandemic Pantry, you won't miss the chicken.
Other Satisfying Soups
Japanese Rice Soup
- 160 grams Japanese short grain rice
- 2 liters dashi
- 1 ½ tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 teaspoons mirin
- 2 teaspoons sake
- 300 grams chicken breast finely sliced
- 2 eggs lightly beaten
- 1 tablespoon grated ginger
- 2 green onions finely chopped
- Place your rice in a sieve and rinse well, until the water runs clear.
- In a large heavy based saucepan (with lid), place dashi and rice and bring to a slow boil. Cover with lid and cook for 50 minutes, stirring occasionally to ensure the rice is not sticking to the base of your pot.
- Remove lid from your pot and soy sauce, mirin, sake and chicken. Continue to cook until the chicken has cooked through.
- Stir in beaten egg and ginger. Once egg has cooked, serve in bowls and sprinkle with green onion.