Honey Coffee Cake, a Josh recipe. Yes I realize that this is not my original intention for game and pop culture themed food, but Sara is having the day off (on the count of 3 we throw our heads back and laugh. 1..2…3 XD)
Forewarning this is dairy free. Also I swear I will go mad as a March hare if anyone makes a comment of “oh you could make this vegan by using chia eggs”, whatever the heck that is. This is a recipe for my lactose intolerant friends. Vegans need not apply. That being said if you want to tweak the recipe to suit your taste, beliefs or lifestyle go for it, never stop experimenting.
Ok now that I’ve got my anti veganism out of my system let’s go on. From the above ramble you may have guessed that one of my mates is lactose intolerant. As such he no longer enjoys the full spectrum of flavours from the majority of chocolates or baked goods obtained from normal bakeries. Therefore I’m now diving into the dairy free world of baking and cooking, hence this Honey Coffee Cake.
- 3 teaspoons instant coffee
- 250ml (1 cup) hot water
- 4 eggs, separated
- 155g (2/3 cup) caster sugar
- 100ml (5 tablespoons) vegetable oil
- 225g (2/3 cup) honey
- 375g (2 ½ cups) plain flour
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon bicarb soda
- ½ teaspoon ground cloves
- ½ teaspoon ground allspice
- Preheat oven 160°C (320°F)
- Mix coffee in hot water, and leave to cool.
- In a large bowl beat egg yolks and sugar until completely combined. Add oil and then the honey, beating after each addition. Beat until the mixture is smooth.
- Sift the flour into a clean bowl. Combine with salt, baking powder, bicarb soda and spices. Add dry ingredients alternately with the coffee to the honey mixture, stirring only until blended. Do not over mix.
- Whip egg whites until stiff. Fold gently into the batter.
- Pour the completed batter into bee and honeycomb pan. Alternatively use a 20cm square pans.
- Bake at 160°C (320°F) for 35 - 40 minutes, or until a skewer inserted into the centre of cake comes out clean.
- Brush with coffee syrup.
- 3 tablespoons of honey
- 1 tablespoon of coffee
- 1 tablespoon of water
- 100g of sugar
- Combine ingredients over a low heat until a syrup has formed.
- Brush on cake.
The syrup will soak into the cake adding a honey coffee punch, and it really does makes the Honey Coffee Cake.
Hazzar! A dairy free cake that I like and can enjoy with my friends.
Become a subscriber and don’t miss a single delicious recipe, restaurant review or travel adventure.