You'll love this tasty easy cream of broccoli and cauliflower soup. A simple stick blended recipe that results in a thick and creamy soup that is both comforting and satisfying.
This soup tastes sensational and uses two powerhouse ingredients. Plus the cheddar cheese and cream add a touch of indulgence.
It takes five minutes to prep and 30 minutes to cook. Making this a delicious quick and easy meal.
There are wonderful health benefits to eating cauliflower and broccoli. This recipe is an easy way of adding them to your diet.
You may have spied a few recipes with these superfoods on the blog. Like oven baked popcorn cauliflower, baked cashew cauliflower falafel, broccolini slaw, and the slightly sinful cheesy cauliflower bake.
Broccoli and Cauliflower Soup Ingredients
A full printable recipe card can be found at the end of this post with recipe ingredient measurements and method.
- Chicken Broth/Stock: Homemade chicken stock is great, but store-bought is perfectly fine. You can also subsitute vegetable stock or water.
- Olive Oil: Use a mild flavoured olive oil. This can be substituted for any mild tasting oil of your choice.
- Cauliflower: You can use frozen cauliflower in this recipe.
- Broccoli: You can use frozen broccoli in this recipe.
- Cream: Standard pouring cream is used in the recipe. You could also use low fat (unsweetened) evaporated milk, or low fat cream. Give it a twist with sour cream or créme fraiche.
- Garlic: If not using fresh garlic, 1 teaspoon of crushed garlic from a jar/tube can be substituted.
- Vintage Cheddar: Any sharp tasting cheese can be used. To change things up you can also use blue cheese like stilton or cream cheese.
- Leek: This can be substituted with one white onion or salad onion, which has a milder taste.
- Croutons: Optional for garnish.
- Chives: Optional for garnish.
This is a great basic recipe that you can easily make your own. Easily tweaked to make it more healthy, or even vegan. A few easy alterations you can make below.
Healthy version without cream
- Replace the chicken broth with water. Or use a low sodium, low calorie chicken stock.
- Omit the cheese from the recipe and sprinkle a little parmesan cheese on top before serving. Alternatively use a low fat cheese.
- Instead of cream use light (unsweetened) evaporated milk or créme fraiche.
- Alternatively leave the cream out of the recipe. Luckily cauliflower is nautrally creamy when blended, you will harldy miss it.
Make it Vegetarian
Make it Vegan
- Replace chicken stock with vegetable stock or water.
- Use unsweetened coconut milk or almond milk instead of cream.
- Replace cheese with 2 tablespoons of nutritional yeast.
Tasty Soup Toppings and Garnishes
I love to top this soup off with crunchy croutons and chives. The croutons for texture and the chives for their mild fresh onion flavour. Below are some other tasty options to tempt your tastebuds.
- Bacon Crumbs: Everything is better with bacon! Use either store bought or finely chop up bacon and dry fry it in a skillet.
- Crispy Prosciutto: Lay thin slices of prosciutto in a dry (no added oil) non-stick fry pan. Cook until the slices start to brown, turning as necessary. Remove from pan, allow to cool and break into shards on top of the soup when serving.
- Crunchy Garlic Baguette Crumble: On a diagonal cut some thin slices of baguette. Grill or toast slices until crunchy and then rub with a little raw garlic. Crumble slices on top of the soup when serving.
- Pesto Croutons: Pre-heat oven at 180°C/350°F and line a baking tray with parchment/baking paper. Cut stale white bread into small cubes. Toss the bread cubes lightly in pesto and bake in the oven for around 15 minutes until golden and crispy. Tossing the croutons as they bake to brown evenly.
- Parmesan Crisps: Pre-heat oven at 200°C/400°F and line a baking tray with parchment/baking paper. Place tablespoon mounds of grated parmesan on the lined tray. Bake for 3 to 5 minutes or until golden and crisp. Allow to cool before topping the soup.
- Fresh Herbs: Top your soup simply with a sprinkle of freshly chopped herbs. My fave herbs for broccoli and cauliflower soup are basil, thyme, oregano, dill, or marjoram.
Perfect Soup Sides
There is a vast selection of bread that can be readily purchased to go with your soup. Serve them fresh, warm from the oven, or toasted.
If you want something quick and simple to make at home 4 ingredient cheese and bacon rolls are perfect.
How to make creamy Broccoli and Cauliflower Soup
Scroll to the bottom of the page for a printable version of this recipe.
Place a large heavy based pot or dutch oven over medium heat. Heat oil, then add leek.
Cook leek until soft and translucent, be careful not to burn. This will take 8 minutes. Add garlic last minute or two.
Add cauliflower and broccoli.
Add stock until vegetables are just covered (approximately 1L). Add a little extra water if needed.
Give the mixture a stir to combine.
Bring to the boil then reduce heat to a simmer partially covered with pot lid for around 20 minutes or until vegetables are tender.
Remove pot from the heat and leave to cool slightly.
Add cheese and stir to combine.
Using a stick blender, blend the ingredients in the cooking pot.
If you don't have a stick blender, blend in batches in a blender. Be careful as the mixture is hot.
Return soup back to the stove over low heat.
Add cream and stir through.
Taste broccoli and cauliflower soup, season with salt as required.
Sara's Top Recipe Tips
Use frozen vegetables
The great thing about this recipe is you can use frozen vegetables. If you do be aware that you may need to reduce the amount of stock used in the recipe. Frozen vegetables contain more moisture than fresh vegetables.
Make double the amount and freeze the leftover broccoli and cauliflower soup in individual portions. This makes for an easy lunch, or simply pull out as many servings as you need for an easy freezer meal.
Yes you can freeze the soup. Once the soup has cooled place in a freezer safe container with a layer of plastic wrap over the surface of the soup. This will prevent ice crystals and freezer burn.
Alternatively freeze in individual portions in smaller containers or zip-lock bags.
Broccoli cauliflower soup will keep in the freezer for 3 months.
Thaw and reheat in the microwave or on the stovetop.
There are various ways you can prepare creamy cauliflower broccoli soup ahead of time.
Make it completely and freeze it until needed.
Make it completely a day or two beforehand and store in an air tight container in the fridge.
Prep the soup ahead of time by cutting up the vegetables and storing in an airtight container in the fridge up to two days in advance.
From frozen allow the soup to thaw completely in the fridge before re-heating it in the microwave or in a pot on the stovetop.
Alternatively, use the defrost function on the microwave to defrost the soup, and then heat on high.
Creamy Broccoli and Cauliflower Soup
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 leek | finely sliced (white part only)
- 2 garlic cloves crushed | crushed
- 650 grams (1 lb 7oz) cauliflower | cut into florets
- 400 grams (14 oz) broccoli | cut into pieces
- 1 litre (4 cups) chicken stock
- 120 grams (4 oz) vintage cheddar cheese roughly 1 cup, coarsely grated
- 125 mls (½ cup) pouring cream (½ cup)
- Place a large heavy based pot or dutch oven over a medium heat. Heat oil, then add leek.
- Cook leek until soft and translucent, be careful not to burn. This will take 8 minutes. Add garlic last minute or two.
- Add cauliflower and broccoli.
- Add stock until vegetables are just covered (approximately 1L). Add a little extra water if needed.Give the mixture a stir to combine.
- Bring to the boil then reduce heat to a simmer partially covered with pot lid for around 20 minutes or until vegetables are tender.
- Remove pot from the heat and leave to cool slightly.
- Add cheese and stir to combine.
- Using a stick blender, blend the ingredients in the cooking pot.If you don’t have a stick blender, blend in batches in a blender. Be careful as the mixture is hot.
- Return blended soup in pot back to the stove over a low heat. Add cream and stir through.Taste and season with salt as required.
- Serve with crunchy croutons and fresly chopped chives
All measurements are Australian metric standard. All measures are level, and cups are lightly packed unless specified. 1 teaspoon = 5ml / 1 tablespoon = 20mls / 1 cup = 250ml /4 teaspoons = 1 tablespoon.
- Replace the chicken stock with water.
- Omit the cheese or use a low fat cheese.
- Do not use cream. Luckily cauliflower is very creamy when blended anyway.
- Replace the chicken stock with vegetable stock or water.
- Use vegan cheddar cheese.
- Do not use cream. Luckily cauliflower is very creamy when blended anyway.
- 1 teaspoon equals 5ml
- 1 tablespoon equals 20 ml (Nth America, NZ & UK use 15ml tablespoons)
- 1 cup equals 250ml (Nth America use 237ml)
- 4 teaspoons equals 1 tablespoon
- I use the below unless specified in my recipes;
The recipe's nutritional information is an approximation based on an online calculator. It is meant solely for reference purposes. If you're looking for precise details, be sure to double-check with your own research.