Chilled Corn Soup with Crab and Gin Pickled Tomatoes make the perfect canapé for entertaining. Sweet creamy corn soup topped with blue swimmer crab and gin pickled tomatoes.
I do love chilled soup shots for entertaining in the warmer months. A couple of delicious mouthfuls of chilled soup topped with an interesting ingredient, which usually has a twist. Soup shots are a lovely addition to a selection of canapés.
The corn soup is rich and creamy with the natural sweetness and taste of the corn. As corn is naturally sweet it is very important that you season your soup with some salt. When I say season to taste in this recipe, I mean it. Season, taste and season a little more if you feel it’s needed.
The creamy sweetness of the corn soup makes the perfect platform for the crab and gin pickled tomatoes. The gin pickled tomatoes are my surprise twist in this recipe. A little boozy on their own, but they marry so well with the other flavours.
That brings me to the Tabasco served on the side. This isn’t a suggestion. This recipe needs the injection of heat and spice that the Tabasco adds.
I don’t add the Tabasco into the crab and gin picked tomatoes, as some people can’t handle too much heat. I like to be a little heavy handed with Tabasco, whereas another may like one drop. No matter if you want a good splash or just a dash, you need to add it. The addition changes the whole dynamic of these shots. The Tabasco gives the pickled gin tomatoes a bloody Mary quality.
Plus having the tabasco on the side lets your guests get hands on with their soup shot.
If a corn based chilled soup shot doesn’t appeal you could always serve my Chilled Cucumber Soup Shots with Spicy Crab.
No matter your choice, both of these soups add a refreshing addition to your entertaining. Albeit one more boozier than the other.
Chilled Corn Soup + Crab & Gin Pickled Tomatoes
- 15 grams butter
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 brown onion finely diced
- 3 corn cobs, corn kernels removed
- 2 garlic cloves finely chopped
- 500 mls chicken stock (2 cups)
- 125 mls cream (1/2 cup)
- 80 grams baby roma tomatoes finely chopped
- 50 mls gin
- 140 grams blue swimmer crab meat
- 3 tablespoons coriander, chopped
- pinch of salt to season
- extra coriander to garnish
- Tabasco Sauce
- In a medium size pot melt butter with oil over a low heat.
- Add onion and garlic and saute for a few minutes until translucent, be careful not to brown.
- Add corn and continue cooking for a few more minutes.
- Add stock and bring to a low simmer. Simmer for 15 minutes or until corn is tender.
- Remove from heat and leave to cool slightly.
- Using a stick blender, blend the corn mixture until smooth. Once blended strain through a fine sieve into another pot. Make sure to press down well on "all the bits" to extract as much flavour as possible then discard "the bits".
- Add cream and stir well over a low heat. Taste and season with salt to taste.
- Remove from heat and place in a container in the fridge to chill for a few hours.
- While soup is chilling place tomatoes and gin in a small glass bowl. Leave to marinate for at least an hour.
- When close to serving, in a small bowl, mix tomatoes, 1 tablespoon of gin marinade, crab and coriander. Keep in fridge until serving.
- When ready to serve pour corn soup into shot glass and top with crab and pickled gin tomato mixture. Serve Tabasco on the side for guests to add a much heat as they wish.
Become a subscriber and don’t miss a single delicious recipe, restaurant review or travel adventure.