Quick and easy drunken chicken recipe. Only five ingredients, but wow this dish packs a lot of punch. A delish dinner idea that your family will love
This is a take on a traditional drunken chicken recipe. Traditionally whole chicken breasts are marinated overnight. In this instance, I am using chicken strips, which are perfect for a quick marinade before cooking.
We like things quick and tasty around here. I am sure you do too!
For me, this dish makes the perfect Sunday night dinner. It’s a simple case of throwing the ingredients together to marinate. Followed by an easy cooking process. The perfect way to end a lazy weekend.
Drunken chicken is packed with flavour. I find it quite comforting, a simple feel good dish.
The drunken chicken recipe I have provided is for two, but if you add a little more chicken and make a side of steamed Asian vegetables you could stretch it to feed a family of four.
If making it on a weeknight, get the chicken in the marinade when you walk in the door from work. Then do what you have to, there’s always a long list if you’re like me.
Make sure to leave it in the marinade for a minimum of one hour, better if it is two, but on a weeknight, we rarely have that luxury. One hour will still give you a very tasty result.
This drunken chicken also makes a great sandwich filler. I like buying the crusty bread rolls used for banh mi.
I load the rolls with chicken, spring onion, coriander (cilantro), chili and lettuce. Then just add a little drizzle of the sauce over the filling. A quick and easy alternative if you don’t feel like rice and want to add a bit more veg to the dish.
Become a subscriber and don’t miss a single delicious recipe, restaurant review or travel adventure.
Other Meal Ideas
Spaetzle – easy German noodles
Hiyashi Soba Tempura – fave Japanese dining at home
Pork with Apples, Sultanas, and Cream – quick, easy, delicious
Agedashi Dofu – tasty tofu recipe
Roast Pork Loin with Citrus and Almond – the roast with the most
Asparagus Pesto Tart – simply add salad
Ceptus Kartupelu Pelmeni – that’s Latvian for fried dumplings
Panko Crumbed Tofu with Mushrooms – vego delight
Drunken Chicken, your easy dinner solution.
- 300 grams chicken breast strips
- 125 ml (½ cup) Chinese cooking wine
- 20 grams ginger finely julienned
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 2 ½ grams (½ teaspoon) caster sugar (superfine)
- In a medium ceramic or plastic bowl place cooking wine, ginger, soy sauce and sugar. Give it a stir and then add the chicken breast strips, coat well.
- Leave chicken to marinade in the fridge for at least 2 hours, even better if left over night.
- When ready to cook, strain chicken and ginger from the marinade. Reserve the marinade! Place reserved marinade in a small saucepan.
- In a wok or pan, place 1 tablespoon of vegetable oil. Over a low heat cook the chicken until cooked through. You don’t want to brown the chicken, cook slowly to keep it tender. The chicken should look pale in appearance.
- While cooking the chicken, heat saucepan with the marinade on the stovetop. Bring the sauce to a rapid boil and remove from the heat. Strain the sauce. The chicken juices, that have leached whilst marinating will coagulate on cooking, and not look very pretty, you want to remove that from your sauce.
- Place chicken on a serving dish and cover with the strained sauce. Feel free to garnish with some spring onion (green onion) and finely sliced chilli. Serve immediately with steamed rice.