A light and fluffy spiced honey coffee cake finsihed with a drizzle of coffee syrup. A dairy free wonder for the lactose intolerant. Bonus it is an easy honey cake recipe too!
Honey Coffee Cake, a Josh recipe. Yes, I realise that this is not my original intention for game and pop culture themed food, but Sara is having the day off (on the count of 3 we throw our heads back and laugh. 1..2...3 XD)
Forewarning this is a dairy free cake too. I swear I will go mad as a March hare if anyone makes a comment of “oh you could make this vegan by using chia eggs”, whatever the heck that is.
This is a recipe for my lactose intolerant friends. Vegans need not apply.
That being said if you want to tweak the recipe to suit your taste, beliefs or lifestyle go for it, never stop experimenting.
Now I have my anti veganism out of my system, let’s go on! From the above ramble, you may have guessed that one of my mates is lactose intolerant. As such he no longer enjoys the full spectrum of flavours from the majority of chocolates or baked goods from the local bakery.
Therefore I’m now diving into the dairy free world of baking and cooking for him. Hence this dairy free, easy honey cake recipe with coffee drizzle.
I mean how hard can baking a cake be? (Please note the writer currently has next to no cooking ability). Well ok, I’m not that bad actually.
The syrup will soak into the cake adding a honey coffee punch, and it really does makes the Honey Coffee Cake.
Hazzar! A dairy free cake that I like and can enjoy with my friends.
Other Delicious Cake Recipes
Basque Burnt Cheesecake - the cheesecake that broke the internet
Melt and Mix Vanilla Cakes - another simple cake recipe
Apple Almond Cake - it's gluten free
Fig Upside Down Cake - another gluten free tasty treat
Pin me to save the recipe!
Honey Coffee Cake
- 3 teaspoons instant coffee granules
- 250 ml (1 cup) hot water
- 4 eggs separated
- 155 grams (? cup) caster sugar
- 100 ml 5 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 225 grams (? cup) honey
- 375 grams (2 ½ cups) plain flour
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon bicarb soda
- ½ teaspoon ground cloves
- ½ teaspoon ground allspice
Honey Coffee Syrup
- 3 tablespoons honey
- 1 tablespoon instant coffee granules
- 1 tablespoon water
- 100 grams caster sugar
- Preheat oven 160°C (320°F)
- Prepare honeycomb pan by spraying with cooking oil or brushing well with melted butter. With some extra plain flour sprinkle over the inside surface of the tin, bop the side of the tin a few times with your hand to cover completely with the flour. Tip the pan upside down and shake out any excess. The tin should have a thorough but fine coating of flour. This will prevent your cooked cake sticking to the tin.If using a square tin, grease and line with baking paper.
- Mix coffee in hot water, and leave to cool.
- In a large bowl beat egg yolks and sugar until completely combined. Add oil and then the honey, beating after each addition. Beat until the mixture is smooth.
- Sift the flour into a clean bowl. Combine with salt, baking powder, bicarb soda and spices. Add dry ingredients alternately with the coffee to the honey mixture, stirring only until blended. Do not over mix.
- Whip egg whites until stiff. Fold gently into the batter.
- Pour the completed batter into bee and honeycomb pan. Alternatively use a 20cm square pans.
- Bake at 160°C (320°F) for 35 - 40 minutes, or until a skewer inserted into the centre of cake comes out clean.
- Brush with coffee syrup.
Honey Coffee Syrup
- Combine ingredients over a low heat until a syrup has formed.
- Brush the cake with syrup.